For the first time in history, mobile browser usage share hit 20% for the first time. Meaning that 20% of all browser usage came from mobile devices. The remaining 80% comes from desktop computers.
Usage share gains for mobile have come at the expense of what StatCounter defines as “desktop,” a category that includes both desktop and notebook PCs, primary powered by Microsoft’s Windows, and Macs running Apple’s OS X. Desktop browser usage dropped 2 percentage points to 80% in the last three months, and fell 7 points in the last 12.
In the last 12 months, mobile’s global usage share grew by 7 percentage points, representing a 53% annual increase.